Friday, August 5, 2011

Would an Upgrade Work for You, Mate?

Last night we waited in the Pizza Hut carpark for almost two hours before our replacement camper van, The Behemoth, arrived. Because our heater was irreparable and there was no replacement part in the country, Danny, our chipper sales associate from Adventure Camper Vans, offered us an upgrade. A behemoth upgrade. We went from a 2/3 berth economy van to a six berth luxury van. Click here to compare the 2/3 Toyota to the 6 berth Fiat.

We are no longer confined to a 2 x 2 standing area, and we're not stepping over my surfboard nose each time we enter/exit the van or the bed. We can even open all of the cabinets, even the silverware drawer, which had been impossible because of the length and width of my board. This camper is so swanky it has a built-in retractable awning, a barbie, an outer storage locker for our snowboards and both of AJ's surf boards, and a double bed over the cab. We just wanted the heat fixed and we ended up with the Cadillac of camper vans. It even has a drop-down tv and a DVD player. Swanky!

AJ surfed at Midway Beach yesterday, just south of Waikanae Beach. Surf was smaller but relatively clean. We spent midday on reconnaissance missions, checking out all of the spots along the Bay of Poverty and north of Gisborne. We parked overnight at Sponge Bay and spent an hour or so combing the coast before settling here at Wainui Beach. AJ's paddled out. There's a lot of water moving, a ground swell (so I'm told), and the waves are at least shoulder to head high; some of them even bigger. I'm watching from our mobile abode, sipping hot tea, and worrying that another van parked behind us will make our exit from this tiny carpark particularly stressful for AJ, who is steering this small bus.

I've spotted the first female to brave this paddle out, and I'm hoping she kicks ass. I'm always excited to see a woman in the water, especially when she rips as well as or better than the men. Right now she's wrestling the white water, but I'm rooting for her.

I'm not ready for this beach break now, but someday. Until then, I have my tea, this view, and poems to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment