Sunday, August 14, 2011

Into the Belly of the Beast but Stuck in Ste'en's Driveway

On Saturday August 13th we were expecting a lazy morning, high tide was not until 9:30am and the beach break at Raglan was looking to be chest high and bigger with off-shore winds. It was probably close to 10:00am when I decided to go for a surf and Emari was going to pass, already involved with Ste'en's computer and our iPad trying to trouble shoot why our fucking Go Pro was still not working, and despite her hours of effort it still does not work. So much for getting ex toted about bringing a Go Pro to New Zealand.....I'd like to toss it in the air and hit it with a baseball bat?

In the mean time I get ready to pull out of then upper part of Ste'en's driveway, parked on wet grass on a decline and trying to back out. To my surprise, the wheels just spun sending mud over a short wall and spraying Ste'en's van below. Ste'en emerged and we wedged two 1x6" pieces of wood but they did not work. Lucky I spotted some rubbish of concrete and stone and we loaded up a small trail behind both front tires. No problem, backed right out, but in the process realized the front tires were essentially bald which raised a real question and dilemma, Emari and I were heading to the South Island where they are expected to get hit with a major snowstorm. Bald tires, short bus, me driving on the wrong side of the road etc....things were not adding up for a successful trip. I followed Ste'en to check the waves and it looked fun as shit, but stated, " I can't surf, I need to take care of the tires." I pulled into the local BP garage and spoke to the mechanic who conformed, front tires needed to be replaced and front end aligned, he did not have the tires in stock and recommended a run to Hamilton.

I returned to the house and Emari called our man Danny at Adventure New Zealand and he stated that we had two options, pay to get the tires replaced and get reimbursed or take it to a Firestone Dealer that they had an account with. It was now 11am, most of the tires places in Hamilton either were not open or closed by 2pm. Emari called the one place that was open until 2pm and the obtained our replacements. Emari and I dropped everything and drove 45 minutes to Hamilton. The two mechanics that worked on the car were super friendly and basically stated, "we'll have you up in running in 3/4 of an hour and you can be on your way with your Holiday."

With the tires replaced and piece of mind, with Ste'en's input looking at weather and surf Emari and I were heading to the south island tonight for a 8:25 am ferry on August 14 in hopes of beating out the storm. We grocery shopped in Hamilton and returned to Ste'en and Tonya's, we both showered and shaved at least 4 days of grime away, it felt awesome. We all pitched in for an amazing meal of nachos, chicken fajita's with fresh guacamole and salsa.

Emari and I hit the road at 7:30pm for the 8 hour drive to Wellington to catch the ferry. The drive was hell and I was as shot out as they come. The mountain pass we hit on highway 4 at 1:00am took it's toll on me, washed out lanes, periods of rain and fog, I was seeing all sorts of road gremlins. I made it as far as one hour from the ferry and pulled off to sleep for 3-4 hours though they were restless hours and I was paranoid I'd over sleep despite setting two iPhones one on alarm and one on countdown. I eventually got on the road at 5am and we arrived at the ferry terminal at 6:04, we were second in line and boarding would begin at 6:45am.

The ferry was enormous, eight levels high....18 wheelers, camper vans, motorcycles, foot traffic, they filled it. I got a cup of coffee and Emari got a Chai tea, we found two reclining seats and we tried to sleep. After we awoke we ate some food and we were the first vehicle off the ferry heading down highway 1 south, to Mangamaunu, a classic right point North of Kaikoura. Well if a storm was brewing their was no sign of it as we headed down the coast. As we already knew we are one day early for this swell which is expected to hit tomorrow but it will not be without stiff winds, but the point should shelter some on the wind. It was only about thigh high but what an awesome set up, if I catch this I will be stoked.

Emari and I drove into Kaikoura and went for a walk through town, very cold and damp and the weather had turned windy with rain and even hail, as I write this it sounds like sleet on the roof of our camper van. The mountains are expecting blizzard conditions the next two days, roads will most likely be closed and the few sites we checked out on line were already closed to camper vans. We are camped up right along the beach at a spot called Meatworks, ledgeing picks breaking close to a steep cobbled stoned bottom. This spot is very exposed. It was cool eating dinner and looking out our camper van window watching this angry turbulent ocean jet 50 yards away. With mountain access looking poor the next two days, our plans are to camp up here and with a little luck I will be catching Manga's overhead the next two days, even if I just get it tomorrow, I'll be stoked. The other question is, will it only be me and the seals?

Tentative plan thereafter, snowboard up in Arthur's Pass Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, we'll drive to Queenstown to zip-line on Saturday, Milford Sound on Sunday, Cardrona to snowboard next Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday, then on Thursday start our 5 day Summitt to Sea.

I need to add, that Emari was so thrilled to see all the seals at the beach, it is a very cool thing. I'm glad we took 36 days, but what I have found is 4-6 months would still not be enough time. One more passing thought, I look out to my right from the camper van and see the ocean, to my left snow covered mountain peaks.....I think I could come to call this place home!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment