Sunday, July 22, 2012

I Can Ride an Epoxy After All

Picked up at the Best Western, Managua after a slamming free breakfast that was probably rolled into the cost of our room, but it felt wonderful thinking we were eating for nothing. Met Steve from Orlando FA. Who was also heading to Popoyo Surf Lodge. Their was also a group of brazilians that we acknowledged but did not really meet. Three Texans also accompanied us by the time we were picked up. Drive was uneventful and we arrived I'm thinking before 11am and everyone opted for the let's get out of here and surf. Saw JJ and Chris before we left and JJ lent me a 5'11" Santa Cruz Archie Model. A little thinner and narrower than what I am used to, plus it was epoxy. We arrived at Popoyo 5-8' on the faces and offshore. The paddle was a little rough, not in shape and smaller board, my lack of surf time back home did not help either. Timing was off and a couple late take offs, one that delivered me into the reef cutting my left foot, I was definitely out of sorts, out of shape, but eventually linked up a few waves. The shifting crowd did not help, but the surf was really fun. Back for lunch, chicken sandwich and fries, a hammock nap in the shade and a two hour session at Santana's, slightly smaller with full tide. Once in a while you got a good one but had to be choosy since many of the bigger sets were shutting down. Back at the camp, hot shower and shave and a great dinner of fresh fish, rice and mixed veggies. Ran into Craig Watson and got to chat with him for a bit. My boards never arrived and it looks the the swell is coming up, could be under gunned. Looks like a day on the boat tomorrow, could mean Playgrounds!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment